Search Health Information
Avoiding insect stings may not always be possible. However, knowing how to respond should your child experience an allergic reaction from an insect sting, could provide more peace of mind in the event of an emergency.
Insects that are members of the Hymenopteran family most commonly cause allergic reactions. These include the following:
For most children, when stung by an insect, the reaction is short-lived, with redness and swelling followed by pain and itching. Generally, the reaction lasts only a few hours, although some may last longer. For others, however, allergic reactions to these insect stings can be life threatening. This severe reaction is a medical emergency that can involve organ systems throughout the body. The reaction is called anaphylaxis, or anaphylactic shock, and can include severe symptoms such as the following:
Immediate medical attention is required.
Avoidance of insects is the best preventive measure. Suggestions for helping your child avoid insect stings include the following:
Specific treatment for insect stings will be determined by your child's physician based on the following:
Suggestions for immediate treatment for highly-allergic children, according to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, include the following:
Click here to view the
Online Resources of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology
|Pocket Doc Mobile App|
|Maps and Locations (Mobile)|
|Programs & Services|
|For Health Professionals|
|For Patients & Families|
|Find a Doctor|