Mold is a member of the fungus family. It is a branching-type of growth called hyphae. It is rarely destroyed by heat or cold exposure, but remains dormant until a particular season, such as spring or fall, when it grows and thrives.
Mold lives in moist conditions where there is oxygen and other chemicals. Places mold may be found most often include the following:
Mold spores or fragments may be inhaled through the nose and into the lungs where they cause allergic reactions or asthma.
Mold may also be eaten in foods, including the following:
There is no known relationship between allergy to the mold Penicillium and allergy to the antibiotic penicillin, which is made from the mold. Consult your child's physician for more information.
Click here to view the
Online Resources of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology
|Pocket Doc Mobile App|
|Maps and Locations (Mobile)|
|Programs & Services|
|For Health Professionals|
|For Patients & Families|
|Find a Doctor|