Tender Loving Care
The All Children's Hospital Magazine
Twice each year, the All Children’s Hospital Foundation publishes Tender Loving Care, a magazine devoted to stories that convey the essence of All Children’s. Profiles of patients and their families highlight the diverse types of high-tech/high-touch care offered at the hospital and its outreach centers. Other features focus on innovative programs, cutting-edge research, academic efforts and the donors whose generosity makes such progress possible.
When cover girl Marina started kindergarten in the fall of 2012, a team of All Children's caregivers had reason to celebrate along with her family. Read her story as well as features on:
- Our comprehensive new Autism Center
- The newly approved All Children's Hospital Johns Hopkins Medicine Pediatric Residency Program
- All Children's first Research Director, Dr. Neil Goldenberg and the first Dick Vitale Cancer Research Fellow, Dr. Calvin Lee
- Dr. Allen Root, this year's recipient of the Foundation's William Belcher Award
- Sherry Belcher, RN, whose work as a Clinical Leader in All Children's Emergency Center was honored with a first-ever Johns Hopkins Nursing Shining Star Award
- All Children's Wonderland, which helps families to honor their own holiday traditions when a child is hospitalized
- Preparations for the 5th Annual US 103.5 FM Cares for Kids Radiothon to benefit All Children's Hospital.
The 29th Annual All Children's Hospital Telethon celebrates the heroic young patients we are privileged to serve. Among them are:
- Cody & McKenzie, two Ft. Myers-area youngsters whose rare heart problems led their families to All Children's Hospital and a chance meeting
- Juniper, a fighter born four months too soon
- Hunter, who became All Children's first heart transplant recipient in 1995 - and is now a high school football star
Other features include:
- A look at how physicians and nurses are honing skills in our Simulation Center
- Reflecting on milestones met in All Children's first year as a member of Johns Hopkins Medicine
- All Children's and Johns Hopkins physicians collaborating to design clinical research studies
- Honors for "Scrub-A-Dub Dub," a hip-hop hand-washing video produced by All Children's Creative Services for our Infection Prevention Program.
Brody's big blue eyes in this edition's cover photo distract most people from noticing the devices around his ears that help him deal with a diagnosis called ANSD. Read more as well as features on:
- Joshua and Regina, a boy with sickle cell disease and the sister whose gift may well save him from a lifetime of pain
- A "cool" therapy aimed at minimizing newborn babies' risks from reduced oxygen to the brain during birth
- Some of All Children's efforts to give back to the community that so generously supports us
- Three women whose work at All Children's won recognition from the community and their professional peers
The 27th Annual All Children's Hospital Telethon marks changes in the event's date and time, but not in its stars - the children entrusted to us for their care, including:
- Will, a four-year old whose parents (an MD father and RN mother) passed several hospitals en route to All Children's when blood work suggested the diagnosis of leukemia
- Six-year old Sami, who counts on hard-to-come-by pediatric experts in her battle against juvenile idiopathic arthritis
Other stories include:
- All Children's becomes the newest member of Johns Hopkins Medicine, the nation's most honored healthcare system.
- Parents are key to a child's care team in Family Centered Rounds
- Kids cook up a healthy feast in our Fit4Allkids Firehouse Family Cook-Off