All Children’s Hospital is the only specialty licensed children’s hospital on Florida’s west coast. Founded in 1926, All Children’s has grown into a leading pediatric referral center that is dedicated to advancing treatment, education, research and advocacy in child health.
In March 2010, the Tampa Bay Regional Planning Council recognized the new All Children's Hospital as "an outstanding achievement and contribution that benefits the regional community."
Families from west central Florida and beyond count on All Children's Hospital for specialized inpatient care. While 73 percent of inpatients come from the Suncoast region (Pasco, Pinellas, Hillsborough, Manatee & Sarasota Counties), nearly a third come from 12 additional counties in west cental/southwest Florida (from Citrus County in the north to Collier County in the south). Another 3 percent come from as far as Miami, Jacksonville or the Panhandle, and 3 percent come from 49 other states and 53 foreign countries.
|Emergency Center visits||41,781|
|Hospital Outpatient Visits||250,885|
|Number of Employees||>2,800|
|Charity care and government-subsidized indigent care*||
|Community health services||
|Health professional education||
|Subsidized health services||
|Other community building activities||
|Total community benefit||
*While many institutions choose to report charges for charity/subsidized care, only the cost of providing such care is reported here. The number would be significantly higher if charges were included.
For a more in-depth look at All Children's Hospital's impact on the community, download our 2010 Community Benefit Report.
Get 2010 Community Benefit Report >>
1926: Civic leaders and members of American Legion Post 14 rally the community to create a special place for children who suffer from the effects of polio and other crippling disorders.
1927:The American Legion Hospital for Crippled Children opens its doors in St. Petersburg.
1936: A second building is added to the Hospital. Many of the patients stayed for months at a time, with physical therapy and educational therapy becoming integral parts of their hospital care.
1950-1960: A larger facility opens to accommodate the nearly 500 patients being admitted each year. Surgical facilities are a new feature, and soon a full-time schoolteacher joins the staff to help meet the needs of the whole child during an extended stay and convalescence. At the decade’s end, more than 5,000 additional square feet are added for rehabilitation and occupational therapy, a library and additional school facilities.
1961-1965: As the threat of polio ebbs, Hospital leaders and trustees plan for a new future providing specialized services for children with a diverse range of healthcare needs. Construction begins in 1965 on land acquired from the City of St. Petersburg next door to its then public hospital (now Bayfront Medical Center).
1967: The new $4.25 million All Children’s Hospital opened its doors on October 1, with a staff of 143, including 65 nurses, for 70 beds. At the dedication, trustees quote the poet Carl Sandburg to explain the Hospital’s new name: “There is only one child in all the world, and that child’s name is All Children.” Within a few years, all 113 of the facility’s licensed beds would be operational.
1968-1969: Pediatric anesthesiology and pediatric cardiology become ACH’s first pediatric subspecialties, and a cardiac catheterization laboratory opens.
1971: ACH opens its first intensive care unit, providing care for newborns through teens.
1973: ACH teams up with the University of South Florida College of Medicine to create a pediatric physician training program and establish research labs in pediatric endocrinology.
1976: ACH opens a new Neonatal Nursery that is designated by the State of Florida as one of eight Level III neonatal units (Regional Perinatal Intensive Care Center). Two neonatologists join the staff during this first year. The Hospital expands its pediatric open heart surgery program.
1978: A full-time pediatric radiologist joins the Hospital staff.
1979: The Children’s Health Center opens to provide outpatient services across the street from ACH. New programs include pediatric hematology-oncology and pediatric infectious disease.
1980: A Ronald McDonald House opens on the ACH campus to provide a “home away from home” for the families of young patients. ACH acquires its first custom-built neonatal ambulance, which includes two incubators, cardiac monitors, oxygen monitors and respirators, to keep tiny patients stable during their trip to St. Petersburg. 1985:ACH opens a Medical Intensive Care Unit, led by its first fulltime pediatric critical care specialist. A new 40-bed Neonatal Nursery opens to accommodate the growing number of premature and critically ill newborn patients. A bone marrow transplant unit opens in the Hospital, with immunology research labs located in the Children’s Research Institute.
1989: All Children’s performs its first kidney transplant.
1991: A $20 million expansion to ACH adds more inpatient units and operating suites, a Short Stay Unit for the growing number of outpatient surgeries, a sleep laboratory, Special Procedures Unit, pediatric dialysis unit, and expanded occupational and physical therapy areas. ACH teams up with the National Safe Kids Campaign to sponsor the Suncoast Safe Kids Coalition, dedicated to promoting child passenger safety and preventing unintentional childhood injuries such as drowning and pedestrian bicycle accidents.
1995: The ACH Pediatric Emergency Center opens, providing a frontdoor to the Hospital that is open 24 hours a day. The Emergency Center is especially important for children from throughout the region who have chronic illnesses or other special medical needs and have their “medical home” at All Children’s. All Children’s performs its first pediatric heart transplant. The first All Children’s Specialty Care Center opens in New Port Richey, offering visits with pediatric subspecialists as well as lab, x-ray, diagnostic testing and rehab services to a convenient outpatient setting.
1997: All Children’s SurgiKid of Florida, a pediatric same-day surgery center, opens within the 52,000-square foot All Children’s Specialty Care of Tampa.
1998: The Hospital continues to expand its network of outpatient services with the addition of All Children’s Therapy Centers.
1999:ACH and its next-door neighbor, Bayfront Medical Center, create an innovative joint Pediatric Trauma Program, which is named a State-Approved Pediatric Trauma Referral Center (and is now the busiest pediatric trauma program in Florida).
2000: The $12 million, 50,000 square foot Children’s Research Institute opens, uniting the Hospital and the USF College of Medicine in renewed efforts to understand, treat and ultimately prevent many childhood diseases.
2001: A panel of pediatric experts convened by Child magazine for its first biennial ranking of children’s hospitals lists ACH among the top 25 children’s hospitals in North America
2002: ACH establishes a pediatric minimally invasive surgery program, investing more than $1 million in laparoscopic and robotic surgical equipment for a dedicated surgical suite.
2003:Laboratories in the ACH/USF Children’s Research Institute grow to include pediatric immunology and HIV, and developmental cardiology/cardiovascular disease. ACH establishes a perinatal cardiology program, specializing in the detection of congenital heart defects in the developing fetus and the medical management of these high-risk patients.
2004:The ACH pediatric cancer program is honored by the American Society of Clinical Oncologists for its outstanding work in furthering advances in cancer research and treatment. The H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute names All Children’s its only pediatric affiliate.
2005: All Children’s breaks ground for construction of a brand new 240-bed hospital and adjoining outpatient medical facility. The largest healthcare construction project in the Southeast, it will open in 2009.
2006: All Children’s Outpatient Care in Brandon and Carillon become the latest outpatient locations. The Greater St. Petersburg Chamber of Commerce and the Tampa Bay Business Journal both recognize ACH as Outstanding Business of the Year.
2010: All Children's Hospital opens a brand new facility consisting of a ten-floor new hospital and five-floor outpatient care center. In July, All Children's Hospital announces its intention to join the Johns Hopkins Health System as a fully integrated member of John Hopkins Medicine.
2011: All Children's Hospital joins the Johns Hopkins Health System as a fully integrated member of Johns Hopkins Medicine.
|Pocket Doc Mobile App|
|Maps and Locations (Mobile)|
|Programs & Services|
|For Health Professionals|
|For Patients & Families|
|Find a Doctor|