The Suncoast Safe Kids Coalition is committed to reducing the frequency and severity of injuries and fatalities to children and youth due to pedestrian and bicycle crashes. Safe Kids Members are health and safety/brain-injury prevention educators and roadway safety professionals who are passionate about the safety of children and youth as they walk, ride bicycles and use other wheeled devices such as skateboards and scooters. The Coalition regularly conducts and participates in pedestrian and bicycle safety educational events such as International Walk to School Day each October, International Bike to School Day each May, area bicycle rodeos, and health and safety venues.
Goals and Objectives
- Heighten awareness of pedestrian and bicycle safety through state and local PTA workshops/meetings and other community venues.
- Conduct annual International Walk to School Day and Bike to School Day events with the aim of increased participation by no less than 10% of elementary schools each year.
- Continue partnership with the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) funded Safe Routes to School school-based programming sponsored by All Children’s Hospital for pedestrian and bicycle safety.
- Conduct bike helmet fitting trainings by FDOT certified regional trainers to educate participants on helmet use and proper bicycle helmet fitting. Training also includes information on the importance of right-sized bicycles and Florida laws pertaining to bicyclists and pedestrians.
- Conduct bicycle rodeos and other bicycle safety training necessary to allow children and youth to benefit from experiential learning activities and videos that can be proliferated through social media.
- Increase the proper use of bike helmets in each county served by at least 10% annually, by creating venues to document bike helmet distribution and proper fitting of helmets