Health Information Library
Note: Get a grownup's help with this recipe, which requires using the oven/stove and chopping with a knife.
Prep time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
What you need:
- ½ cup lentils, brown or green
- 2 cups water
- ¾ teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- ¾ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon ground, mild red chili (optional)
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1/3 cup diced tomatoes, canned or fresh
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh cilantro
Equipment and supplies
- Measuring cups/spoons
What to do:
- Combine the lentils and water in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook the lentils until tender, about an hour. If needed, add more water.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil for 2-3 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the cumin, ground red chili (optional), and chili powder.
- Add onion-garlic-spice mixture to the cooked lentils.
- Stir in the tomatoes and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the chopped cilantro.
How much does this recipe make?
Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2014 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.