Health Information Library
Note: If you try this recipe, get a grownup's help because it requires using the stove.
Prep time: 15 minutes
What you need:
- 2 slices of whole-grain bread
- ½ tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon of mustard
- 1 slice of Swiss cheese
- ½ pear, sliced
Equipment and supplies:
- Small skillet
- 1 butter knife
What to do:
- Spread butter on one side of each bread slice. These sides will be on the outside of your sandwich.
- Spread the other sides with mustard. They will be on the inside.
- Place one slice of bread, butter side down, on the cool skillet.
- Add the Swiss cheese.
- Add the sliced pears on top of the cheese.
- Top with the other bread slice, mustard-side down.
- Heat the skillet on low to medium heat.
- Cook, flipping once, until the edges are golden and the cheese is melted.
How much does this recipe make?
Reviewed by: Cheryl Patterson, RD, CDE
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2014 KidsHealth® All rights reserved.
Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com