Health Information Library
Prep and cook time: 25 minutes
What you need:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1½ cups water
- 16 ounces chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup uncooked ditalini pasta (short tube-shaped macaroni)
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
Equipment and supplies:
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Knife for chopping
- Large stock pot
What to do:
- Heat olive oil in pot over medium heat. (Be sure to get an adult's help when using the stove.)
- Add onion and sauté until lightly browned.
- Add water and next 6 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add pasta and cook additional 10 minutes, or until pasta is tender but not overcooked.
- Stir in parsley.
How much does this recipe make?
8 1-cup servings
Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD
Date reviewed: January 2011
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2014 KidsHealth® All rights reserved.
Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com