All Children's Hospital Logo

Health Information Library

Teens > Q&A > Parents & Family > Who Can I Talk to About My Parents' Drinking Problem?
Who Can I Talk to About My Parents' Drinking Problem?

My parents have a drinking problem, but every time I try to talk about it they say I shouldn't worry and they're getting help. Who can I talk to?
- Nicholas*

Having a parent with a drinking problem or other addiction can be extremely tough. Alcohol and other addictions affect everyone in a family — but sometimes parents don't realize this.

Even when parents are getting the help they need, sons and daughters have their own questions, concerns, emotions, and needs to sort through. Talking about all this with someone — whether it's a friend, counselor, or religious leader — is a healthy thing to do.

Alateen is an international resource for people in your situation. They can offer support, including meetings where you can talk with other teens who are going through the same thing. They also have a newsletter, AlateenTalk, where you can get the views of people your age.

Reviewed by: D'Arcy Lyness, PhD
Date reviewed: July 2013

*Names have been changed to protect user privacy.

Related Articles
T    Alcohol
T    Coping With an Alcoholic Parent
T    Dealing With Addiction
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2015 KidsHealth® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and

Additional Info

Pocket Doc Mobile App
Maps and Locations (Mobile)
Programs & Services
For Health Professionals
For Patients & Families
Contact Us
Find a Doctor

All Children's Hospital
501 6th Ave South
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
(727) 898-7451
(800) 456-4543

Use Normal Template
© 2015 All Children's Hospital - All Rights Reserved