All Children's Hospital Logo

Health Information Library

Parents > First Aid & Safety > Printable Safety Guides > First Aid: Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumac
First Aid: Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumac

First Aid

The oil in poison ivy/oak/sumac plants (called urushiol) can cause an allergic rash in 60% to 80% of people who come into contact with it.

Mild rashes can be treated at home, and mostly cause discomfort from itching, burning, or blistering. Severe, widespread rashes require medical treatment.

Signs and Symptoms

What to Do

Seek Medical Care

If:

Seek Emergency Medical Care

If Your Child:

Think Prevention!

Reviewed by: Steven Dowshen, MD
Date reviewed: April 2014

Related Articles
T    Babysitting: Dealing With Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumac
K    Camping and Woods Safety
T    Camping Basics
P    Farm Safety
K    Farm Safety
T    Farm Safety
P    Poison Ivy
K    Poison Ivy
T    Poison Ivy
K    Rashes: The Itchy Truth
K    Stay Safe Center
P    Summer Safety
T    Summer Safety Center
P    Why Is Hand Washing So Important?
P    Woods and Camping Safety for the Whole Family
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2014 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.

Additional Info

Pocket Doc Mobile App
Maps and Locations (Mobile)
Programs & Services
Employment
For Health Professionals
For Patients & Families
Contact Us
Find a Doctor
News
CME

All Children's Hospital
501 6th Ave South
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
(727) 898-7451
(800) 456-4543

Use Normal Template
© 2014 All Children's Hospital - All Rights Reserved