All Children's Hospital Logo

Health Information Library

Teens > Babysitting Center > First Aid and Emergencies > Babysitting: Dealing With Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumac
Babysitting: Dealing With Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumac

When someone has a physical reaction to poison ivy/oak/sumac, it's because of the oil in the plants, which can cause an allergic rash and other symptoms.

Signs and symptoms of a mild allergic reaction from poison ivy/oak/sumac include:

Signs and symptoms of a severe allergic reaction from poison ivy/oak/sumac include:

Call 911 immediately, and then the child's parents, if a child has a severe allergic reaction.

What to Do

If a child has a mild allergic reaction to poison ivy/oak/sumac:

To help prevent contact with and reactions to poison ivy/oak/sumac:

Reviewed by: Kate M. Cronan, MD
Date reviewed: January 2011

Related Articles
T    Babysitting: Dealing With Allergic Reactions
T    Babysitting: Dealing With Bug Bites and Stings
T    Babysitting: Emergency Contact Sheet
T    Babysitting: Numbers to Know
T    Poison Ivy
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2014 KidsHealth® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com

Additional Info

Pocket Doc Mobile App
Maps and Locations (Mobile)
Programs & Services
Employment
For Health Professionals
For Patients & Families
Contact Us
Find a Doctor
News
CME

All Children's Hospital
501 6th Ave South
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
(727) 898-7451
(800) 456-4543

Use Normal Template
© 2014 All Children's Hospital - All Rights Reserved