Bug stings and bites can be irritating, but the symptoms usually disappear quickly and most don't need medical treatment.
Some kids, though, can have an allergic reaction to an insect sting or bite — and sometimes these can be life threatening. If a severe allergic reaction happens, a child will require immediate medical attention.
Possible signs of a mild allergic reaction:
Possible signs of a severe allergic reaction:
If a child shows signs of a severe allergic reaction, call 911 immediately and then call the child's parents.
If a child has a mild reaction to a bug bite or sting:
Ways to prevent bug bites and stings:
Reviewed by: Kate M. Cronan, MD
Date reviewed: May 2013
|Pocket Doc Mobile App|
|Maps and Locations (Mobile)|
|Programs & Services|
|For Health Professionals|
|For Patients & Families|
|Find a Doctor|