Pediatric Grand Rounds Archived Webcasts
The Golden Anniversary of Newborn Screening: Lessons Learned and Future Evolution, As Illustrated by Cystic Fibrosis
Recorded February 28, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Philip M. Farrell, MD, PhD
Professor of Pediatrics and Population Health Sciences, University of Wisconsin, School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI
Jeffrey M. Ewig, MD
Clinical Practice Director, Pediatric Pulmonary Associates PA, Medical Director at All Children's Hospital Sleep Lab, St. Petersburg, FL
This program is presented for educational purposes only and is no longer available for CME credit.
Disclosure: The speakers have signed a disclosure form and indicated he/she have no significant financial interest or relationship with companies of the manufacturer(s) of any commercial product/service that will be discussed as part of his/her presentation.
Clinical Content Reviewer: Juan A. Dumois, III
After attending this activity, participants will demonstrate the ability to:
- outline the history, underlying principles, and systematic nature of newborn screening (NBS)
- recognize metabolic, endocrine, hematologic, and other genetic disorders in current NBS panels
- identify potential for false negative results, risks of false positives, and communication challenges with families whose baby has an "abnormal" result
- acknowledge that future evolution of newborn screening will rely on molecular genetics, as illustrated by cystic fibrosis.
Commercial Support: The speaker has signed a disclosure form and indicated he/she has no significant financial interest or relationship with companies of the manufacturer(s) of any commercial product/service that will be discussed as part of his/her presentation.
While the presentations may be viewable on systems that don't meet these criteria, we recommend that you use a computer that meets the following standards:
- Broadband internet access (DSL, Cable, T1, Wi-fi)
- Speakers or Headphones
Windows 2000, XP, or Vista
- Browser Requirements: Internet Explorer 6 or later
- Windows Media Player Version 9 or greater (required). The latest edition is always available from
Mac OS Version - OS X
- Browser Requirements: Internet Explorer 5.2.3 or later for Mac OS X, Safari 1.0.3 or later (Safari 1.2.4 & above recommended), Firefox 1.0 or later
- Media Player Requirements: Windows Media Player for Mac OS X
Mac OS Version - OS 9
- Browser Requirements: Internet Explorer 5.1.7 for Mac OS 8.1 to 9.x
- Media Player Requirements: Windows Media Player 7.1 for Mac