International Walk to School Day
Florida Suncoast Safe Kids and Safe Routes to School, led by All Children's Hospital, are making a difference to reduce the number of child pedestrian deaths and injuries in our communities. International Walk to School day is a fun and interactive way to promote walking to school safely. This one-day event which involves communities from more than 40 countries began in 1997. Over time, it has become part of a movement for year-round safe routes to school. Today, thousands of schools across America - from all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico - participate every October.
For additional planning and outreach tools visit www.walkbiketoschool.org.
Judge Karl Grube Award
The Judge Karl Grube "Extra Mile" award will be given to a school that demonstrates outstanding achievement in its participation in the Safe Routes to School International Walk to School Day Initiative. In order to be selected for the award, you must meet the following criteria:
- Participates in International Walk to School Day and continue annually
- Implements a walking school bus program, bike train, or a program that continues to promote pedestrian/bicycle safety education
- Partakes in student education on pedestrian/bicycle safety programs annually
- Implements pedestrian/bicycle safety related activities or programs that are student-initiated or students-directed PSA, Ect.
- Provides follow-up opportunities for bicycle/pedestrian safety activities
- Demonstrates outstanding ability to relate bicycle and pedestrian safety information to its student body in an engaging manner for lasting benefit