Pediatric Developmental Medicine
The Pediatric Developmental Medicine Department at All Children's Hospital provides evaluation and management services for children with neuro-developmental and related learning disorders from birth to 15 years of age.
The Pediatric Developmental Medicine Department at All Children's Hospital sees patients with:
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Learning disabilities
- Language based learning problems
- Motor delay
- Developmental care related to Down Syndrome and other related syndromes
- Vision problems
- Hearing problems
- Birth defects
- Developmental follow up related to Cardiac and/or ECMO, transplant or follow up of other chronic conditions
The Pediatric Developmental Medicine Department at All Children's Hospital does not provide services for children and adolescents who appear to have primarily emotional or behavioral disorders who would normally be managed by Psychiatry or Psychology.
About Contacting Us & Making an Appointment
A referral from the patient's primary physician is required for a Developmental Pediatric Medicine appointment. Under normal circumstances patients are instructed to call their primary physician, or in case of emergency call 911. Patients we are treating are given individualized instructions regarding when it is appropriate to contact us directly.
There are numerous situations in which a referral to Developmental Pediatric Medicine may not be the most appropriate first step. Please contact the patient's primary physician in situations such as these:
- Acute changes in mental status or function
- Emergency or life-threatening situations
- Psychiatric emergencies such as suicidal ideation, psychosis, or other behavior causing danger to the patient or others
- Infants and toddlers with suspected neurodegenerative conditions not yet seen by Neurology
- Most children hospitalized with acute illnesses
- Children currently in residential or law enforcement facilities
- Court related issues