Community Service Assurance (Hill-Burton)
Hill-Burton provides assistance to medical facilities such as All Children's Hospital. It requires All Children's to make services available to persons residing in its service area without discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, or any other ground unrelated to the individual's need for the service. These requirements also apply to persons employed in the service area. The basic requirements are:
- A person within the All Children's Hospital service area has the right to medical treatment without regard to race, color, national origin or creed.
- All Children's must participate in the Medicare and Medicaid programs unless it is ineligible to participate.
- All Children's must make arrangements for reimbursement for services with third-party payers that provide reimbursement that is not less than the actual cost of the services.
- All Children's must post notices informing the public of its community service obligations in English, Spanish and possibly other languages.
- All Children's may not deny emergency services to any person on the grounds that the person is unable to pay for those services.
- All Children's may not adopt patient admissions policies that have the effect of excluding persons on grounds of race, color, national origin, creed or any other ground unrelated to the patient's need for the service or the availability of the needed service.
For information on how to file a complaint of discrimination, or to obtain information of a civil rights nature, contact the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) at: