Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Note: This recipe is especially for teens with diabetes, but can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet.
This classic dish is sure to bring a smile to your face, and it's also a good way to sneak some calcium into your diet.
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 oz. light cheddar cheese
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread
- 1½ tsp. light margarine
- 2 tbsp. egg substitute
- 1 tbsp. skim milk
- Place cheese on one slice of bread. Top with remaining bread slice.
- In a shallow bowl, combine egg substitute and skim milk.
- Melt margarine in a large nonstick skillet.
- Dip sandwiches in egg mixture.
- Cook sandwiches for 3 minutes on each side or until golden.
Serving size: 1 sandwich
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
18 g protein
14 g fat
7 g sat. fat
25 g carbohydrate
4 g fiber
30 mg cholesterol
566 mg sodium
278 mg calcium
1.9 mg iron
1½ carbohydrate exchanges
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Serve with tomato soup. Consider adding fresh tomato slices to the sandwich before cooking.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, CNSC, LD/N
Date reviewed: July 2012
© 1995-2014 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.