Note: This recipe is especially for teens with diabetes, but can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet.
You can make this sandwich ahead of time to take along with you. It's packed with protein and has only 2 carbohydrate exchanges.
Prep time: 10 minutes
- whole-wheat low-fat tortilla, 7" diameter
- 2 tbsp. light cream cheese
- 1 oz. lean and low-sodium turkey slice
- 1 oz. lean and low-sodium ham slice
- 1 oz. Swiss cheese slice
- 1 iceberg lettuce leaf
- 2-3 tomato slices
- Place tortilla on a flat surface.
- Spread cream cheese on one side of tortilla.
- Lay the lettuce, turkey, ham, Swiss cheese, and tomato on top of the cream cheese on the tortilla (flat).
- Bring the sides of the wrap in and then roll up in the shape of a cylinder.
- Wrap each in plastic wrap until ready to serve.
- Right before serving, slice wraps in half and remove plastic wrap.
Serving size: 1 sandwich
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
25 g protein
17 g fat
10 g sat. fat
33 g carbohydrate
3 g fiber
64 mg cholesterol
1083 mg sodium
338 mg calcium
1 mg iron
2 carbohydrate exchanges
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
You can use a variety of meats with little effect on carbohydrate content.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, CNSC, LD/N
Date reviewed: July 2012
© 1995-2014 KidsHealth® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com