Wild West Wrap
Prep time: 5-10 minutes (not including time for cooking chicken)
Recipe makes: 2 servings
- 1 whole-wheat flour tortilla
- 4-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked in advance
- 1 ounce low-fat or fat-free cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded lettuce
- 1 fresh tomato
- 1 tablespoon chunky salsa
Equipment and supplies:
- Baking sheet or shallow ovenproof dish for grilling or roasting chicken
- Cooking oil
- Knife and cutting board
- Cheese grater
- To cook the chicken, spray it with cooking oil, place it on a baking sheet, and roast it in the oven at 350ºF (177ºC) until it's cooked all the way through. You'll know it's done if the chicken is no longer pink inside when you slice into it. Better still, test it using a meat thermometer — push the thermometer into the middle part of the chicken breast. The temperature should be at least 165ºF (74ºC).
- Let chicken cool. You can prepare the chicken a day or two in advance and keep it in the fridge.
- Shred the lettuce, cut up the tomato, and grate the cheese.
- Lay the tortilla on a clean preparation surface. Arrange the chicken, cheese, lettuce, and tomato evenly down the center of the tortilla. Spoon the salsa over the filling ingredients.
- Fold in the tortilla over one end of the filling, then roll up the tortilla tightly.
- Cut in half and serve.
Tip: Some pre-shredded low-fat cheese can be high in sodium, so it's best to buy cheese as a solid piece and grate your own.
Reviewed by: Meredith Parkinson, RD, LDN
© 1995-2015 KidsHealth® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com