PB and J French Toast
Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for teens with cystic fibrosis (CF), who need to consume additional calories to help them meet their nutritional needs.
This interesting twist on the traditional breakfast favorite is easy to make and a great way to start the day.
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread
- ¼ c. peanut butter
- 2 tbsp. jelly
- 2 eggs
- ¼ c. heavy cream
- 3 tbsp. butter
- Spread peanut butter on two slices of bread.
- Spread jelly on the other two slices of bread.
- Put one slice of each together to form sandwiches.
- In a mixing bowl, lightly beat eggs and cream together.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Dip sandwiches in egg mixture, coating well.
- Place in skillet and brown both sides.
- Serve immediately.
Serving size: 1 sandwich
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
22 g protein
51 g fat
500 mg sodium
126 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, CNSC, LD/N
Date reviewed: July 2012
© 1995-2015 KidsHealth® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com