Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for teens with cystic fibrosis (CF), who often need to consume additional calories to help meet their nutritional needs.
This protein-packed side dish is perfect for a holiday barbecue.
Prep time: 2 hours, 20 minutes (including cooking time)
- ¼ c. onion, chopped finely
- ½ c. green pepper, chopped finely
- 1/3 c. brown sugar
- ¼ c. ketchup
- ½ tsp. dry mustard
- ¼ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 6 slices cooked bacon, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 16 oz. canned pork and beans
- In a 1½-quart baking dish, combine all ingredients. Do not drain beans.
- Bake uncovered at 325ºF (162º C) for 2 hours.
Serving size: ¾ cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
22 g fat
10 g protein
896 mg sodium
69 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, CNSC, LD/N
Date reviewed: July 2012
© 1995-2014 KidsHealth® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com