Whole-Grain Chicken-Broccoli Pockets
Note: This recipe is especially for pregnant and breastfeeding women, but can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet.
Prep time: 25 minutes, including cook time
- 2 c. raw, broccoli florets, ¼" chopped
- 2 c. shredded 2% cheddar cheese
- 1-lb. bag of whole-wheat pizza dough
- 8 oz. packaged, cooked, grilled chicken breast, ¼" diced
- Preheat oven to 375º F (190º C).
- Flour work surface.
- Divide dough into four equal parts; roll out one part at a time into a rectangle.
- To assemble each pocket: On one half of dough add ½ c. broccoli, ½ c. shredded cheese, and ½ c. diced chicken breast.
- Fold other half of dough over top of filling to form pocket; cut small hole in top to allow steam to escape.
- Place pockets on non-stick baking sheet; bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown (check instructions on pizza dough; baking temperatures may vary depending on brand used).
Makes: 4 pockets
Serving size: 1 pocket
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
35 g protein
16 g fat
7 g sat. fat
47 g carbohydrate
8 g fiber
75 mg cholesterol
1400 mg sodium
417 mg calcium
1 mg iron
25 mcg folic acid
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Why this recipe is good for pregnant or breastfeeding women:
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, fiber, and vitamins A and C, all of which are essential during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD
© 1995-2014 KidsHealth® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com