Pasta and Cheese
Note: This recipe is especially for pregnant and breastfeeding women, but can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet.
Prep time: 40 minutes (includes cooking time)
- 8 oz. bowtie pasta, uncooked
- 2½ c. skim milk
- 1 tbsp. butter
- ½ c. broccoli, chopped
- ½ c. red pepper, chopped
- ½ c. onion, diced
- 3 tbsp. all purpose flour
- ½ tsp. dry mustard
- 2 c. reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Add butter, broccoli, red pepper, and onion to a medium saucepan and sauté over medium heat. Add the milk and heat through.
- Gradually whisk in flour and dry mustard. Simmer for 1 minute and whisk occasionally.
- Remove the mixture from heat and stir in cheese until melted. Add the cooked pasta and stir to coat the pasta.
- Transfer the mixture to a 9-inch square baking dish and bake uncovered for about 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Serving size: 1-1/3 cups
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
19 g protein
10 g fat
7 g sat. fat
40 g carbohydrate
2 g fiber
34 mg cholesterol
346 mg sodium
376 mg calcium
2 mg iron
110 mcg folic acid
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Why this recipe is good for pregnant or breastfeeding women:
This recipe is high in calcium and is a dish that kids in the house can enjoy as well.
Reviewed by: Steven Dowshen, MD, and Tracy Chivari, MS, RD, CDN
© 1995-2013 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.