Creamy Broccoli Soup
Note: This recipe is especially for pregnant and breastfeeding women, but can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet.
Prep time: 30 to 45 minutes (includes cooking time)
- 1 c. onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 6 c. broccoli, chopped (about 2 crowns)
- 2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 c. skim milk
- salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, combine onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- Add the broccoli, cover the pot, and cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Add skim milk and blend in pot with an immersion blender until smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, add soup to a blender in small batches. Blend until smooth and transfer soup to clean pot. Reheat slowly if needed.
Serving size: about 1 cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
8 g protein
1 g fat
0.5 g sat. fat
17 g carbohydrate
6 g fiber
3 mg cholesterol
142 mg sodium
169 mg calcium
1 mg iron
183 mcg folic acid
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Why this recipe is good for pregnant or breastfeeding women:
This soup is high in folic acid because of the amount of broccoli used. Adequate folic acid intake is important, especially during the early weeks of pregnancy, to help prevent birth defects.
Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD
© 1995-2014 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.