Prep time: 8 minutes
- 12 oz. 99% fat-free precooked boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium apple, diced
- 1 c. diced celery
- 1 c. seedless grapes, sliced in half
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ c. chopped walnuts
- 5 tbsp. plain low-fat yogurt
- 4 c. fresh baby spinach
- Cut the precooked chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes.
- Combine the chicken and all other ingredients except for the baby spinach and mix well.
- To serve, place a scoop of the chicken mixture on top of a bed of fresh baby spinach.
Serving size: 1 cup
This recipe has important nutrients for mom and baby, including:
Folic acid helps the healthy development of a baby's brain and spinal cord. It is also needed to make red and white blood cells. Good sources of folic acid include fortified cereals, leafy green vegetables, citrus fruits, beans, and nuts. Women who get 400 micrograms (0.4 milligrams) of folic acid daily prior to conception and during early pregnancy can reduce the risk that their baby will be born with a neural tube defect (a birth defect involving incomplete development of the brain and spinal cord).
Reviewed by: Meredith Parkinson, RD, LDN
© 1995-2015 KidsHealth® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com