Soy Berry Smoothie
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 1 c. frozen mixed berries
- 1 c. unsweetened vanilla soy milk
- ¾ c. plain nonfat yogurt
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth.
- Add a little water if the mixture doesn't blend easily.
- Pour the smoothie into two glasses and enjoy.
Serving size: About 1 cup
This recipe has important nutrients for mom and baby, including:
Fiber is a nutrient that can help ease the constipation commonly associated with pregnancy. Whole grains (like whole-wheat bread, whole-grain cereals, and brown rice) and fruits, vegetables, and legumes (beans, split peas, and lentils) are good sources of fiber.
Eating carbohydrates helps provide energy to support the growth and development of a baby and, after delivery, breastfeeding. The best sources of carbohydrates are whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, which also are good sources of fiber.
Reviewed by: Meredith Parkinson, RD, LDN
© 1995-2015 KidsHealth® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com