5-Minute Rice and Beans
Note: This recipe is especially for pregnant and breastfeeding women, but can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet.
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 1 16-oz. can black beans
- 1 c. white rice, uncooked
- 1 12-oz. jar salsa
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Drain and rinse the black beans.
- Combine salsa, beans, and cooked rice in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes or until warm throughout.
Serving size: approximately ½ cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
12 g protein
1 g fat
0 g sat. fat
60 g carbohydrate
9 g fiber
0 mg cholesterol
927 mg sodium
48 mg calcium
5 mg iron
107 mcg folic acid
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Why this recipe is good for pregnant or breastfeeding women:
This recipe is rich in protein, iron, and folic acid, which are important nutrients during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Reviewed by: Steven Dowshen, MD
© 1995-2013 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.