Note: This recipe is especially for kids with lactose intolerance, who need to limit or avoid dairy products.
The peppers, herbs and spices season the rice nicely. This fat-free and lactose-free side dish can be served with practically anything.
Prep time: 35 minutes
- ½ c. onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c. long grain rice, uncooked
- 3 tbsp. jalapeño peppers, finely chopped
- 2 c. vegetable broth
- ¾ tsp. cumin
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, minced
- salt to taste (optional)
- Spray saucepan with nonstick butter spray.
- Sauté onion and garlic in saucepan until tender.
- Add rice, jalapeños, broth, and cumin to saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- Add salt to taste (optional).
Serving size: approximately 2/3 cups (2 carbohydrate exchanges)
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
2 g protein
0 g fat
0 g sat fat
27 g carbohydrate
0 g fiber
0 mg cholesterol
375 mg sodium
8 mg calcium
1 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
If you would like this dish spicier, add more jalapeños. If you think this is too spicy, use only 1 tbsp. jalapeños. Serve with beans or meat.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, CNSC, LD/N
Date reviewed: July 2012
© 1995-2014 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.