Prep time: about 40 minutes
- 2 eggs, beaten with a fork
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup corn (fresh, canned, or frozen if it's taken out of the freezer ahead of time and soft)
- Preheat oven to 400º F (200º C).
- Put all the ingredients, except for the corn, into a large bowl.
- Beat all the ingredients together with a big wooden spoon. The mixture should be smooth.
- Stir in the corn and mix.
- Pour the mixture into baking pan coated with shortening or nonstick spray.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the cornbread is light brown on top.
- Remove bread from the oven, cut it into 9 pieces with a knife, and serve warm.
Serving size: 1 piece
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
5 g protein
7 g fat
30 g carbohydrate
1 g fiber
48 mg cholesterol
376 mg sodium
77 mg calcium
1.5 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
© 1995-2014 KidsHealth® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com