Note: This recipe is especially for pregnant and breastfeeding women, but can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet.
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 heart romaine lettuce
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and minced
- ¼ tsp. ground mustard
- ¼ c. egg substitute
- 2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- black pepper to taste
- croutons (optional)
- Clean lettuce well to get rid of any bacteria, then dry it in a salad spinner or blot dry with paper towels.
- Tear lettuce into 1- to 2-inch pieces and place in a large salad bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, mustard, and egg substitute.
- Just before serving, pour dressing and parmesan cheese over salad and toss until lettuce is coated with dressing.
- Add black pepper and croutons as desired.
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
4 g protein
15 g fat
3 g sat. fat
3 g carbohydrate
1 g fiber
2 mg cholesterol
71 mg sodium
56 mg calcium
1 mg iron
80 mcg folic acid
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Why this recipe is good for pregnant or breastfeeding women:
This recipe replaces raw or undercooked egg yolk with an egg substitute. Raw or undercooked foods should not be consumed during pregnancy.
Reviewed by: Steven Dowshen, MD
© 1995-2014 KidsHealth® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com