Note: This recipe is especially for kids with lactose intolerance, who need to limit or avoid dairy products.
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 6 c. fresh spinach, torn in bite-size pieces
- ½ c. mandarin oranges
- 1 c. strawberries, sliced
- 4 oz. soy blue cheese crumbles
- ¼ c. cashews
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp. orange juice
- 1½ tbsp. canola oil
- ¼ tsp. dry mustard
- 1/3 tsp. poppy seeds
- knife (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- Mix dressing ingredients and refrigerate.
- Mix the fruit and spinach together.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix well to coat evenly.
- Divide salad among 4 plates (about 2 cups each plate).
- Sprinkle cashews and soy blue cheese over the top of each salad plate.
Serving size: about 2 cups
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
11 g protein
12 g fat
3 g sat. fat
24 g carbohydrate
2 g fiber
66 mg cholesterol
549 mg sodium
276 mg calcium
3.9 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
This salad can be served as a side dish, or add some chicken to it and make it a meal!
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, CNSC, LD/N
Date reviewed: July 2012
© 1995-2015 KidsHealth® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com