Note: This recipe, created by Vijay Dey of North Carolina, won a national contest and was served at a White House lunch for kids. His spring rolls pack a lot of veggies into just one dish! (If you try this recipe, get a grownup's help because it requires using a knife and the stove.)
Prep time: 45 minutes
What you need:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 5 cups mung bean sprouts
- 2 cups chopped napa cabbage
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 5 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 24 spring roll wrappers
Equipment and supplies:
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Medium bowl
- Sauté pan
- Pie plate
- Cutting board
- Damp paper towel
What to do:
- In a medium bowl, marinate the chicken with 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, soy sauce, and cornstarch.
- In a wok or sauté pan, warm the vegetable and sesame oils over medium heat.
- Add the bean sprouts, cabbage, carrots, mushrooms, scallions, and ginger and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add the marinated chicken and sauté, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Fill a pie plate with warm water.
- Immerse 1 spring roll wrapper in the water until pliable, about 15 seconds, then transfer to a cutting board.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of filling down the center of the wrapper.
- Fold the bottom of the wrapper over the filling, then fold both sides into the center, and roll the wrapper up tightly to form a spring roll.
- Transfer the spring roll to a plate and keep covered with a damp paper towel.
- Repeat with the remaining spring roll wrappers and filling.
How much does this recipe make?
- 8 servings / 3 spring rolls per person
Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD
Date reviewed: September 2013
© 1995-2014 KidsHealth® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com