Note: Brown rice and the wheat roll provide the whole grains in this recipe, while the turkey packs it with protein.
Prep time: 90 minutes
What you need:
- 1/3 cup brown rice, uncooked
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon canola oil
- 1½ tablespoons yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium stalk of celery, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey, extra lean
- 1 large egg
- 1½ tablespoons dried cranberries
- ¾ cup spinach leaves
- ¾ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch ground red pepper
- Small wheat rolls
Equipment and supplies
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Sheet pans
- Large skillet
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Cook rice according to package directions and include the ½ teaspoon of salt. When done, drain well and spread on a sheet pan to cool completely.
- Add canola oil to heated skillet. Add onion, celery, and garlic and sauté until soft (about 5 minutes). Transfer to sheet pan with rice and cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine turkey, egg, cranberries, spinach, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, and red pepper. Mix well.
- Add rice and vegetable mixture to turkey mixture.
- Form into 6 patties. Place on sheet pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes until turkey reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF.
- Serve on whole-wheat rolls with optional lettuce, tomato, and red onion.
How much does this recipe make?
Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD
Date reviewed: March 2012
© 1995-2014 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.