Prep time: about 90 minutes
What you need:
- 2 eggs
- 1¾ c. sifted flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1/3 c. vegetable oil
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 1 c. mashed bananas (about 3 bananas)
Equipment and supplies:
- oven (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- measuring cups and spoons
- small bowl
- medium-size bowl
- large bowl
- bread pan coated with nonstick cooking spray
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- Beat eggs well in a small bowl.
- In a medium-size bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, add the vegetable oil. Add the sugar a little bit at a time, and continue beating until the mixture is fluffy.
- Add the eggs to the mixture in the large bowl and beat well.
- Add some of the flour mixture to the large bowl and beat well. Then add some of the mashed bananas and beat some more. Continue adding flour, then bananas, then flour, then bananas, until everything is mixed in.
- Pour mixture into the baking pan. Bake for 70 minutes.
- Flip your banana bread out of the pan, let it cool for a bit, and cut it into slices to eat and share!
How much does this recipe make?
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
2 g protein
5 g fat
24 g carbohydrate
1 g fiber
27 mg cholesterol
155 mg sodium
37 mg calcium
0.8 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
If you're nutty for nuts, add chopped walnuts during Step 6.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, LD/N
© 1995-2014 KidsHealth® All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com