Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who often need to consume additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This tastes great when served hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. Yum!
Prep time: 80 minutes
- 1/3 c. butter, melted
- 1/3 c. light brown sugar
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1½ c. flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ c. whole milk
- ¾ c. chopped walnuts
- mixer (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- oven (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- measuring cup
- measuring spoons
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (176Cº).
- Mix all ingredients.
- Pour batter in greased, 8-inch bread pan.
- Bake for 1 hour. A toothpick inserted in the middle of the bread should come out clean.
Serving size: one 1" slice
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
17 g protein
17 g fat
330 mg sodium
51 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
This bread freezes very well. Eat half this week and freeze the rest for another time.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, CNSC, LD/N
Date reviewed: July 2012
© 1995-2014 The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth. All rights reserved.