S.P.E.L.L. Skills for Print, Emergent Language & Literacy
A Reading and Writing Therapy Group
Why Target Reading and Writing Together?
Reading and writing skills help our group gain knowledge in these two important learning areas at the same time.
Therapy Group Goals
- To learn reading and writing skills for use at home and school.
- To help children gain the confidence and skills to be successful at school.
Reading, writing and spelling activities are used to increase skills in these areas that are important for school success. We provide reading and writing therapy in small groups led by a Speech Language Pathologist and an Occupational Therapist trained to help children with reading and writing delays.
We offer two skill levels to meet the needs of each child.
Level 1 works on letter formation, letter/sound correspondence, beginning blending and decoding, and beginning spacing and alignment of words.
Level 2 works on the conventions of writing, rules of spelling, spacing, alignment, size and rate of writing.
We provide the integrated approach of two trained therapists in one fun and educational small group. Group Members learn skills with peers, practice skills during group activities, reinforce skills with homework, and support skill use with naturally occurring reading and writing opportunities.
Who Can the Group Help?
Children at least 5 years of age who are:
- Below their grade level for spelling, reading and/or writing skills
- Struggling to meet the grade level expectations
- Having difficulty with homework to the point of disrupting family routines
- Parents are involved in weekly conference sessions and are provided with homework specific to each child’s needs.
- Ongoing communication, including feedback and progress reports.
- Evaluation, Pre-Tests , and Post-Tests are given to measure progress.
Schedule an Appointment
To schedule an appointment, physicians or patients can call the Patient Access Service Center at (727) 767-7272 or submit an online appointment request. We accept most traditional insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, and most managed care plans.