New Child Restraint Law for Children 4 and 5
Booster and car seat rules have changed for children ages 4 and 5. Here's what you should know before traveling with your child.
Florida law now requires the following:
- A child must be in a car seat or booster seat until he or she is 6 years old.
- Children younger than 4 need to be in a separate car-seat carrier or a vehicle manager's integrated car seat.
- Children of age 4 or 5 have the option of being in a car seat or booster seat. Before moving to a booster, check the label on your safety seat to make sure it's appropriate for your child's age, weight and height.
Child Passenger Safety Classes
Is your child safe on every ride?
A car seat is one of the best ways you can protect your child while traveling, but searching for the right one isn't an easy task. Our classes and individual appointments will help guide you in your decision-making process and teach you how to install and use your car seat correctly. You will also learn when to transition your child to another seat and how to keep your child safe as he or she grows.
To ensure every child travels safely, our program offers car seats at a reduced cost for those that meet program criteria.
Convertible seats are $20 and boosters are $10 (cash or money orders only). Prices may vary accommodating special circumstances such as high weight limit.
Supplies are limited to one car seat per child and appointments are required.
Information and Registration
- A nationally certified child passenger safety technician teaches all classes and will also assist you as you install your car seat in your vehicle.
- Classes are offered during the month at various times.
- All appointments must be scheduled online.
Schedule your appointment at one of these locations:
- All Children's Outpatient Care, Brandon
- All Children's Outpatient Care, East Lake (in Palm Harbor)
- All Children's Outpatient Care, Lakeland
- All Children's Outpatient Care, Lakewood Ranch
- All Children's Outpatient Care, Pasco
- All Children's Outpatient Care, Sarasota
- All Children's Outpatient Care, South Tampa
- All Children's Outpatient Care, Tampa
- All Children's Hospital Main Campus, St. Petersburg
- Safe Kids Car Seat Class Locations in Pinellas County
- This class is for parents or guardians, however, the information is for everyone responsible for transporting your child, so please invite them to attend the class with you. You will be glad you did!
- If you have questions about this program, please call (800) 756-7233 (Extension 4) or (727) 767-7835.