Pediatric Grand Rounds Archived Webcasts
Syncope vs. Sudden Cardiac Death
Recorded October 2, 2009 at 12:30 PM
Mitchell I. Cohen, MD, FAAC
Section Chief, Pediatric Cardiology; Director of Electrophysiology & Pacing, Phoenix Children's Hospital, Phoenix, AZ Medicine
This program is presented for educational purposes only and is no longer available for CME credit.
Clinical Content Reviewer: Juan Dumois, MD
Learning Objectives: As a result of attending this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Identify which children with syncope may be at risk for sudden cardiac death.
- Discuss how to appropriately evaluate the child/adolescent with syncope
- Explain the differential diagnosis of syncope.
- Describe how to best utilize genetic testing for children at risk for sudden cardiac death including: long QT syndrome and other channelopathies.
While the presentations may be viewable on systems that don't meet these criteria, we recommend that you use a computer that meets the following standards:
- Broadband internet access (DSL, Cable, T1, Wi-fi)
- Speakers or Headphones
Windows 2000, XP, or Vista
- Browser Requirements: Internet Explorer 6 or later
- Windows Media Player Version 9 or greater (required). The latest edition is always available from
Mac OS Version - OS X
- Browser Requirements: Internet Explorer 5.2.3 or later for Mac OS X, Safari 1.0.3 or later (Safari 1.2.4 & above recommended), Firefox 1.0 or later
- Media Player Requirements: Windows Media Player for Mac OS X
Mac OS Version - OS 9
- Browser Requirements: Internet Explorer 5.1.7 for Mac OS 8.1 to 9.x
- Media Player Requirements: Windows Media Player 7.1 for Mac