The unprecedented prevalence of childhood obesity is a threat to the health and wellbeing of the children in our country. Join with All Children's Hospital in observing Childhood Obesity Awareness month by learning ways to keep healthy and participating in one of our excellent programs helping more kids become fit, healthy, and happy kids!
Parents, health care providers, educators and community leaders are all encouraged to observe this month with programs and activities that will prevent childhood obesity by promoting healthy eating and physical activity.
All Children's Hospital is committed to helping families in our community and addressing this national epidemic. Helping children and families reach and maintain personal weight management goals is an ongoing process but one that will benefit them for years to come.
You can help, too. Join us in observing National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month this September by trying one or several of the following with your family:
- Practice what you preach. Make sure the whole family is eating healthy and getting regular physical activity. Make it fun!
- Keep it simple and fresh. Add in fruits and vegetables, low-fat dairy and whole grains throughout the day. Children need lots of vitamins and minerals to grow and adding in these types of foods will provide them with healthy calories and lots of energy.
- Limit Screen Time. Spending hours of your time playing video games, computer games, texting and watching TV can cut into the time you would spend doing something active together as a family. Try to limit screen time to no more than 2 hours a day total.
- Make mealtime family time. Have your children help with everything from the food preparation and cooking to setting the table and even the clean-up duties. Children who are more active with preparing and serving the food are more likely to try new healthy options.
- Eat out less. Plan ahead and make the most of your meals at home. This does not mean every meal has to be a fancy gourmet offering. It can be simply having turkey sandwiches on whole grain bread with wholegrain pasta salad you made the night before, fresh fruit and or veggies and a cold glass of skim milk. But what if you're in a hurry? Take this meal on the road and skip the drive thru!
More Things You Can Do...